This is just a simple, easy and delicious (yes, even if I must say so myself) strawberry vanilla cake.
Sometimes old-fashioned is best!
For the cake:
250g unsalted butter, softened
2 cups self-raising flour
1/2 tsp salt
3 eggs, room temperature
1 cup milk
1 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
For the frosting
250g unsalted butter, room temperature
480g icing sugar
125g pureed strawberries, sieved
one punnet of strawberries, halved
250g thickened cream, whipped
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celcius. Butter and line two 20cm round cake pans.
- Whisk flour, baking powder and salt together.
- In a seperate bowl, beat butter and caster sugar on medium speed until combined.
- Add eggs and beat until combined.
- Reduce speed to low and gradually add flour mixture, beating until combined.
- Add milk & vanilla, beat until combined.
- Divide batter between the pans and smooth tops.
- Bake for 27 minutes or until golden.
- Let cakes cool in pan for a few minutes before turning them out and letting them to cool completely.
10. Beat butter and sifted icing sugar, one cup at a time, until light and fluffy.
11. Add the strawberry puree and beat for another minute. Be careful the buttercream is not too wet -if it is, add more butter and sugar. Refrigerate if you aren’t using it immediately. Before using, bring it back to room temperature, then beat on low speed until smooth.
12. Layer halved strawberries on top of a cake layer until it covers the surface. Dollop on whipped cream as desired. Place remaining cake layer on top. Spread top and sides of cake with buttercream icing. Refrigerate for 20 minutes. Decorate with fruits or whatever you like!!